Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Guest Column: MLB Editorial


Editors Note: I am blessed to have people around me who know baseball a lot better than I do. As I learn to address and write about the game I would like to give a special thanks to Ryan Crouch and the writer of this article J.F. Trochez. Enjoy the guest column and I am excited to see more from Mr. Trochez. If you have something to say about baseball or something else that I may not cover, please contact me at editor@jaketabor.com

-Jake

At the beginning of every (MLB) baseball season I jump and rejoice in excitement for the start of a new season. It is a new opportunity to enjoy all that is baseball: pitching milestones, batting accomplishments, amazing infield work, wicked base running, home run and base-hit klepto outfielders, trade rumors, walk-off wins, umpire/manager shouting matches, bloopers, gaffes, injuries, farm system behemoth's making it to the show, foreign acquisitions, blown saves, grand slams and the many other factors that make baseball great.
 With all these facets it is no doubt you have to be a truly dedicated fan to keep track of the 2,431 regular season games that will shape the outcome of the playoffs.

Two-thousand-four-hundred-and-thirty-one!  Are you kidding me!? Certainly a monstrosity of a number in comparison to the 256 regular season NFL games or even the 684 Division I-A NCAA football games.*  Yeah, it's really not that easy being a die-hard baseball fan.  Let's say, for instance, that you focus on your division of baseball (typically 5 teams).  That means that as an avid fan you're tracking 405 games per season that decide the outcome of a post-season berth.

Let's talk stats.  Another bargaining chip that really scares people from being fans of baseball and probably the biggest reason that most people don't like the game is the fact that there are stats for everything, seriously, EVERYTHING!

A true fan will be able to read a stat chart and be able to decipher the true value of that player based on AVG, OPS, SLG, OBP, ERA, WHIP, FPCT and so on and so on....

Don't get me wrong... I am in no way, shape or form calling anyone less of a fan because of your particular taste of sport.  My main gripe is with the folks that don't have a respect for sportsmanship.  I must admit, I have been guilty of criticizing sports that I do not understand; to this day I have no idea what a "wicked googly" is in cricket, nor do I have any interest in finding out.

Bottom line being I do not like hearing from other "sports fans" how long a baseball season is or how boring a baseball game is.  There is a plain and simple solution to this: If you hear others talking about baseball and your only opinion is a negative one then just keep your mouth closed.  However, if you really feel as if you need to contribute to the conversation take the necessary time and learn about the sport and you will enjoy it a whole lot more.  I will now share with you a universal truth that will help you the rest of your life: boring or lame to you can be interesting and exciting to someone else - thus, don't call it boring!

I have made a concerted effort to learn more about college football over the course of the last two years and feel as if I can enjoy watching a game from time to time, as well as be able to contribute to a relevant conversation when the opportunity calls for it.  Even though it's not my sport of choice, I can now have an off-season alternative in that sad and depressing time (for baseball fans) between the end of the World Series and Spring Training.

As for the longevity of the Season?  Take a second look before you talk trash.  Football pre-season starts in August and post-season ends in February -- 6 months; NBA and NHL seasons both begin in October with the post-season ending in June -- 9 months!  The MLB pre-season begins in March and post-season wraps up in October -- 8 months.  Exactly, it's not as bad as you thought.

Fans of BLC, know this: it's okay for some of us to like football and it is okay for some of us to like baseball (and anything else).  But please, oh please, zip your yapper and quit running your mouth about something that doesn't interest you and I promise to do the same.

 J.F. Trochez

 *Notes:
114 Division I-A NCAA football teams - Average 12 Game season
32 NFL Teams - 16 Game season
30 MLB Teams - 162 Game season plus All-Star Game that determines World Series home field advantage

No comments:

Post a Comment